Macintosh Performance Issues

News and general information

Macintosh Performance Issues

Postby cody » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 am

There are some performance issues with the Macintosh version of Editra in the latest release.

I have done a fair amount of analysis into this issue and found what I believe to be the problem. This problem will take some time to fix however but the good news is that the temprorary fix is easy and can be done with no need to update.

Just turn off Word Wrap in the preferences dialog for now and it will provide a major speed up.
cody
Site Admin

Postby cody » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Update:

I have also found and fixed what seems to be another cause of some of the issues in 0.2.0 with performance.

Due to this issue and a number of other more minor bug fixes I am planning to do a quick release of a new version next week.
cody
Site Admin

Postby cody » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:31 pm

The recent changes I made seem to have resolved this issue and will be included in the next release.
cody
Site Admin

Postby revcompgeek » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 pm

This still seems to be a problem. Scrolling is painfully slow even with word wrap turned off. Is python doing realtime stuff during scrolling?
D > C++ > C
revcompgeek
User

Postby cody » Fri May 09, 2008 3:07 am

No, the problem is in the wx drawing routines for the Scintilla control. There is only one other item I have found that can be used to improve the performance some but it comes at an awfully high cost of memory usage. Some of these issues are supposed to be improved for wx2.9, but how it is now with word wrap turned off hasn't caused me any issues on my machine.

cody
cody
Site Admin

Return to News