[finished] Design a new logo contest

News and general information

[finished] Design a new logo contest

Postby cody » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:26 pm

Design the new icon for Editra

I would like to change the programs icon, the current one was meant to be temporary but has not turned out to be the case :P

So this is an open invitation to anyone that wants to try a hand at redesigning the logo, anything is welcome but listed below are some guidelines for what is needed.

Icon Size: Square canvas (i.e NxN) (128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16)

The chosen submission will receive named credit and a link to their homepage on the staff page (few 100k pageviews a month) as well as with the project distribution files. Also up for grabs is a personalized email address @editra.org.

Please make submissions either to this thread or to staff - AT - editra - DOT - org and I will post them to the site.

Thanks,

Cody
Last edited by cody on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
cody
Site Admin

Postby skurt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Great plan... What is the present one? Looks like someone tried to do a naked lunch bug/typewriter thingie?

or a bug-eyed thing with an E on it's head?

Or a Turtle with an E on its butt...

dunno

haven't figured that one out
skurt
User

Postby cody » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Well, its nothing really. I was just playing with Illustrator one day for no more than 15 minutes... and that was the result of dragging the various tools around for that time.

So any new design would be great!! Hope somebody has an interest in helping me out here.

Thanks,

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby skurt » Sun May 04, 2008 8:34 am

Well, I messed a bit and came up with something like this;

But it didn't play to well as an icon file, and Windows would make it look like even worse crap. So I tried this;

but once again, the background binary 10011101's looked too messy. So back to the drawing board. I pared it down to this;

If you like these, let me know where to email the .zip file.

Image Image Image
skurt
User

Postby cody » Sun May 04, 2008 4:23 pm

thanks,

Yea I would definitely like to look at them and see how they scale to the other sizes and look in use, so please send me a zip file to the email mentioned in the opening post.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby skurt » Sun May 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Ok, sent the email out. I included the 20'ish variations of the above and I've also included the .PSD file so you can modify it if you don't like what I started.

God knows, *I'm* no artist!
skurt
User

Postby revcompgeek » Tue May 06, 2008 5:32 am

Would it be possible to see a version with an uppercase E, just to compare? I really like those icons!

PS. Maybe use a section of Editra's code as the background instead of binary or the HTML reflected in the e?

PPS. How did you make the e distort the code like that?
D > C++ > C
revcompgeek
User

Postby skurt » Tue May 06, 2008 5:46 pm

revcompgeek wrote:Would it be possible to see a version with an uppercase E, just to compare? I really like those icons!

PS. Maybe use a section of Editra's code as the background instead of binary or the HTML reflected in the e?

PPS. How did you make the e distort the code like that?

Didn't think of using Editra's code as a background, but I guess it's available. I was looking for a contrast between someone making code (HTML) and what it turns into (Binary) thus the two different classes of code.

I played a bit with putting Editra's code in the reflection, it is not too bad, however, there are lots and lots of blank spaces, I'll have to find a good snippet to try.

I used PhotoShop's Glass filter and tweaked it a bunch.

And sure, I can make it uppercase, but most of us program in lowercase and I thought that would show it better. I gave the .PSD file to Cody so if he'd like to see it in upper, I'm sure it will be not too much of a hassle

But just my opinion 8)

Image Image
skurt
User

Postby cody » Tue May 06, 2008 8:13 pm

I like the lower case but the upper case seems fill the space better.

I did some testing with it and it looks pretty good under most cases but at the lower resolutions the background is a little too complicated and make the icon look a little fuzzy to me. Perhaps replace the binary text with some simple shape, background colour, or even transparency (though this might make the icon have less of visual presence).

cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby skurt » Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 pm

cody wrote:I like the lower case but the upper case seems fill the space better.
at the lower resolutions the background is a little too complicated and make the icon look a little fuzzy to me.

I could see that happening

Perhaps replace the binary text with some simple shape, background colour, or even transparency

Any suggestions?

(though this might make the icon have less of visual presence).

cody

I'll see what I can do with some kind of background
skurt
User

Postby skurt » Tue May 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Here is some play...

ImageImage
Last edited by skurt on Tue May 06, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skurt
User

Postby revcompgeek » Tue May 06, 2008 11:26 pm

The gears don't work well IMO, but I like the text in the E. I wish that GIMP had the glass filter. :cry:
D > C++ > C
revcompgeek
User

Postby skurt » Tue May 06, 2008 11:30 pm

revcompgeek wrote:The gears don't work well IMO, but I like the text in the E. I wish that GIMP had the glass filter. :cry:

Yeah... but toss something else my way, I got gears stuck in my head

I was also thinking of some kind of blocks, maybe with all E e letters in different fonts
skurt
User

Postby cody » Wed May 07, 2008 12:43 am

Blocks might work out, I just think that simplicity works best for icons. Just looking at some of the icons in my dock, the Microsoft Word icon (its just a W) actually works pretty good, the Skype one is also nice, svnX is just an S on a blue square though I dont think it fits in as good as the others.

Thanks for the interest and the continued work!

cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby skurt » Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 am

cody wrote:Blocks might work out, I just think that simplicity works best for icons. Just looking at some of the icons in my dock, the Microsoft Word icon (its just a W) actually works pretty good, the Skype one is also nice, svnX is just an S on a blue square though I dont think it fits in as good as the others.

Thanks for the interest and the continued work!

cody

Here is something

Image Image Image

Last edited by skurt on Wed May 07, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
skurt
User

Next

Return to News