Bouncing File Manager

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Bouncing File Manager

Postby compumatter » Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Thank you for your product. It is the best we have found so far.

Our problem is this. Every time we switch tabs between currently 'open files', the file manager tree highlights the currently viewed file. This causes a predictable bouncing in the tree view as the highlighter highlights the current open file. I have found that I often wish to open a new file that is nowhere near the existing open file in the file tree and am constantly re-scrolling the entire file manager tree to get back to the place I want to be.

My question is: Is there any way for us to stop the constant re-positioning of the highlighter in the File Browser so that I alone am responsible for any collapses, expansion or scrolling and it is not automatically done.

Thank you.

Jay
CompuMatter
compumatter
User

Re: Bouncing File Manager

Postby cody » Thu May 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi,

The FileBrowser plugin currently doesn't have any option for controlling that behavior. Feel free to open a feature request in the editra-plugins.googlecode.com issue tracker for it.

Another option is to use the Projects Plugin. It has the same sync feature but can be turned on or off in its configuration dialog. Can use the Projects plugin similarly to the FileBrowser if you just add your root drive(s) as "projects" to the view.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby compumatter » Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Cody,

I will look into this plugin as well. I finally put my finger on the exact issue to resolve. It is when I close a file that it really is a bother. Because closing a file automatically shifts the file manager position to the next open file. However quite often I wish to open a neighboring file to the one I closed. In that case I must manually scroll to 'refind' my previous position in the file manager.

I will look into the areas you suggested.

Thanks.
compumatter
User

Postby cody » Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi,

Ok, if a feature request is added to the issue tracker I will be sure to remember to do it. Its not a very hard feature to add, just hard to remember to do without the ticket ;)
cody
Site Admin

Postby compumatter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Cody,

I was wondering if you ever implemented this feature in recent upgrades of Editra ?

I love your software but this still plagues me as the only real difficulty.

I had created a bug / feature request a while back as requested.

Your thoughts.

Jay
CompuMatter
compumatter
User

Postby cody » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi,

Yes there was configuration added for this in FileBrowser 2.0 which came included with Editra 0.7.08 (0.7.12 is the latest).

The issue you opened was closed as completed back in May (http://code.google.com/p/editra-plugins ... ilebrowser).
cody
Site Admin

Postby compumatter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:11 am

Hello Cody,

Thanks for inserting that feature.

Could you tell me where to locate the behavior modification ui to turn this feature on / off

I found a checkbox for 'remember file position' however this did not alter the behavior

Your thoughts?

Jay
CompuMatter
compumatter
User

Postby cody » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 am

Hi,

Its in the FileBrowser plugins configuration not Editras.

1) Open Plugin Manager dialog
2) Find FileBrowser in list of Installed Plugins
3) Click on Configure button

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion