Plugin for Defis (Python RAD framework) with Editra 0.6

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Plugin for Defis (Python RAD framework) with Editra 0.6

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Hello,

I've found the Defis project for a Pythonic RAD framework for desktop (non-web) database applications (using SQLalchemy) here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/defis/

The downloadable archive includes an entire, but outdated version of editra (0.5.x), with a plugin for Defis. To use the plugin with the current version of Editra I have (0.6.58), I've tried to simply move the files named defiscfg-0.x.x-py2.x.egg from the "plugins" directory of the included Editra version over into the "plugins" directory of my Editra version, but the Plugin Manager won't "see" the plugin.

Have I misunderstood something about the "manual" installation process for Editra plugins? Do I need to do anything else than just move the .egg files into the "plugins" directory? Or has anything changed with Editra that "old" plugins won't work anymore? Could anyone try whether the Defis plugin works with your current Editra version?

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

P.S.: It's a pity imho that there doesn't seem to be a mailinglist available instead of these clumsy online forums.
Wolfgang
Limited User

Re: Plugin for Defis (Python RAD framework) with Editra 0.6

Postby cody » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Wolfgang wrote:Hello,

I've found the Defis project for a Pythonic RAD framework for desktop (non-web) database applications (using SQLalchemy) here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/defis/

The downloadable archive includes an entire, but outdated version of editra (0.5.x), with a plugin for Defis. To use the plugin with the current version of Editra I have (0.6.58), I've tried to simply move the files named defiscfg-0.x.x-py2.x.egg from the "plugins" directory of the included Editra version over into the "plugins" directory of my Editra version, but the Plugin Manager won't "see" the plugin.

Have I misunderstood something about the "manual" installation process for Editra plugins? Do I need to do anything else than just move the .egg files into the "plugins" directory? Or has anything changed with Editra that "old" plugins won't work anymore? Could anyone try whether the Defis plugin works with your current Editra version?

No, just need to put it in the plugins directory (either at the install path or your user profile directory). Though, setuptools plugins require that the python version matches. If you are running a current binary version of Editra then you need to make sure to put a python 2.6 version of the plugin in the directory. Likewise if you are running Editra from source the plugin version has to match your Python version. Looks like there is only a py2.5 and py2.6 version in that download archive.

Looks like the plugin has some additional dependencies, when I just copy it over and try to load it I get this error in Editra's log:

Code: Select all
[08:35:33][pluginmgr][err] Couldn't Load Defis: No module named ic.PropertyEditor

Then if I copy that over to the Editra install directory I get this error:

[08:39:45][pluginmgr][err] Couldn't Load Defis: No module named ic_user

Then I gave up since I couldn't locate that module anywhere. Closest was 'icUser.py', so not sure if there are typos or if I was using a broken version of the plugin that was included in that bundle (there were several versions of both plugins).

I don't think the author of that tool ever contacted me so I don't know much more about it.

Wolfgang wrote:P.S.: It's a pity imho that there doesn't seem to be a mailinglist available instead of these clumsy online forums.

Need to look a little further ;)
http://groups.google.com/group/editra

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Looks like the plugin has some additional dependencies, when I just copy it over and try to load it I get this error in Editra's log:

Code: Alles auswählen
[08:35:33][pluginmgr][err] Couldn't Load Defis: No module named ic.PropertyEditor

I get this:

[17:44:30][pluginmgr][info] Found plugin: defiscfg
[17:44:30][pluginmgr][err] Couldn't Load Defis: 'module' object has no attribute 'dlg'

Then if I copy that over to the Editra install directory I get this error:

Code: Alles auswählen
[08:39:45][pluginmgr][err] Couldn't Load Defis: No module named ic_user

Then I gave up since I couldn't locate that module anywhere.

Have you "python setup.py install"ed the ic module from the Defis archive?

"ic_user.py" is part of it.

When I try to run the editra installation provided in the Defis archive (0.5.72), and open the Plugin Manager, I get an error dialog box with this:

#---- Notes ----#
Please provide additional information about the crash here

#---- System Information ----#
Editra Version: 0.5.72
Operating System: Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 3)
Python Version: 2.6.1 (r261:67517, Dec  4 2008, 16:51:00) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
wxPython Version: 2.8.9.1 (msw-unicode)
wxPython Info: (__WXMSW__, wxMSW, unicode, wx-assertions-on, SWIG-1.3.29)
Python Encoding: Default=ascii  File=mbcs
wxPython Encoding: cp1252
System Architecture: 32bit x86
Byte order: little
Frozen: False
#---- End System Information ----#

#---- Traceback Info ----#
*** Tue Sep 20 17:51:45 2011 ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\extern\events.py", line 108, in HandleEvent
    return handler(event)
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\ed_main.py", line 1070, in OnPluginMgr
    size=wx.Size(550, 450))
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 128, in __init__
    mode=MODE_ERROR),
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 269, in __init__
    self.PopulateErrors()
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 426, in PopulateErrors
    pbi = PluginErrorItem(self._list, pin, bmp, item)
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 1126, in __init__
    self._title = wx.StaticText(self, label=title)
  File "F:\Anwendungen\PortablePython_1.1_py2.6.1\App\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_controls.py", line 1136, in __init__
    _controls_.StaticText_swiginit(self,_controls_.new_StaticText(*args, **kwargs))
TypeError: String or Unicode type required

*** Tue Sep 20 18:00:34 2011 ***
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\extern\events.py", line 108, in HandleEvent
    return handler(event)
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\ed_main.py", line 1070, in OnPluginMgr
    size=wx.Size(550, 450))
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 128, in __init__
    mode=MODE_ERROR),
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 269, in __init__
    self.PopulateErrors()
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 426, in PopulateErrors
  File "F:\Anwendungen\defis_0.5.3-py25\EditraIde\src\plugdlg.py", line 1126, in __init__
  File "F:\Anwendungen\PortablePython_1.1_py2.6.1\App\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_controls.py", line 1136, in __init__

#---- End Traceback Info ----#

Oops. Huh? *scratchscratchscratchwithrearpawbehindear*
Wolfgang
Limited User

Postby cody » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi
Wolfgang wrote:*** Tue Sep 20 18:00:34 2011 ***
return handler(event)
size=wx.Size(550, 450))
mode=MODE_ERROR),
self.PopulateErrors()

#---- End Traceback Info ----#[/code]

Oops. Huh? *scratchscratchscratchwithrearpawbehindear*

This was fixed many releases back but it was caused when you open the PluginManager when you have a newer plugin installed that is not compatible with the older version of Editra. So there is likely a plugin that is specifying that it is not compatible with that version of Editra (i.e PyStudio, or some other newer released plugin that uses new api functionality from more recent version of Editra).

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion