Worrisome sponsored link when you search for Editra

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Worrisome sponsored link when you search for Editra

Postby nule » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi,

I was installing Editra on a new machine and without thinking I just typed "editra" in search bar instead of going right to editra.org. I noticed the there is a sponsored link for (and I'm not going to make this a URL, as I believe it's probably not safe): editra (dot) softlate (dot) com

It looks like they just bundle a bunch of crappy malware with an Editra install and call it "Editra 2011". Maybe you're already aware, and possibly there's nothing that can be done about it anyway. However I would feel remiss not bringing it to the attention of the developers here.

Thanks much for a great editor, it's one I keep on all my machines (having the same editor in Linux, OS X and Windows is great) and something I recommend any new developer download and use instead of an IDE until they get a feel for what they're doing.

Thanks again,
Mike
nule.org
nule
Limited User

Re: Worrisome sponsored link when you search for Editra

Postby cody » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi,

No I haven't seen that before. What search engine/browser did you use?

I searched on google and that site doesn't come up anywhere in the top 10 pages of results. Would be surprised to see such a site near the top of any search engines results.

I visited that link and it seems like your normal 'free' (advertising) download site (i.e downloads.com). Though I guess I didn't download it to see what else is bundled in with it. Not much can be done about it though, other than just say always get your downloads from editra.org.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby nule » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Cody,

I just searched for "editra" on Google, and it was the only sponsored link. You're right, I don't think it would be in the normal search results.

Mike
nule
Limited User

Postby cody » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,

Ah, I see it now. I guess my eyes have been trained to just ignore that portion of the screen where the ads are located.

After reviewing that site some more there are a number of suspicious things and false claims so I have filed a report against that site with google and some other websites. So hopefully it will disappear from the search results sometime soon.

Thanks
cody
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion