Profiles and User Configurations: Backup/Export

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Profiles and User Configurations: Backup/Export

Postby immortalnights » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:22 pm

For a lot of my development projects I work on multiple systems (mainly this is a Windows and Linux system) and therefore one thing that I really need from my editor of choice is the ability to quickly and easily maintain consistency between customizations and user options between systems.

Unless I am mistaken however Editra doesn't lend itself well to this having many user settings files in multiple locations (this customizations for Launcher and other plugins).

I don't see any plugins related to backing up/exporting or similar operations for the configurations files of Editra and any enabled plugins, so (assuming I decided to stick with Editra), it's defiantly something I'd be thinking about creating.

I know custom styles can be exported, which is nice, but what about the rest? I've seen the mention of "profiles" within the File menu, what do that contain?

Finally (for now), is there anything that already does this, or something someone is already working on?
immortalnights
User

Re: Profiles and User Configurations: Backup/Export

Postby cody » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Hello,

The "Profile" is your user settings and configuration for all your settings from the preferences dialog as well as many plugins also store settings in there as well. The profile is saved in the user data directory on your computer and that whole configuration directory is portable between systems.

You can also run Editra in portable mode (i.e on a thumbdrive) and put a '.Editra' configuration directory in the installation directory and Editra will use that local configuration directory instead of the system one. There is also a command line switch for specifying the location of where to look for a custom configuration directory.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby immortalnights » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:46 pm

I assume however (relating to at least the 'launch.xml') not all settings and configuration is within the profile file. Therefore, to successfully backup/copy the configuration the whole '.Editra' directory should be copied, rather then the just the 'profile.pbb'?

I can see the portable mode working for some people - but it's not good in my case.
immortalnights
User

Postby cody » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi,

There are a few things that are not kept in the profile such as last cursor position in files, your custom installed plugins, custom style sheets, session files, saved window layouts, file type associations, and I don't know what various plugins do so they may or may not save extra data there as well (usually under the cache directory).

So if your going to be copying files around anyway and want your whole configuration you can just copy the config directory as a whole.

Macintosh OSX

~/Library/Application Support/Editra/

Linux/Unix

~/.Editra/

Windows 2000/XP

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Editra\

Windows Vista/7

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Editra\
cody
Site Admin

Postby immortalnights » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:15 pm

The information that changes by almost every use (ones you mention: last cursor position in files, session files, and maybe saved window layouts) are they all in the same file?

Copying the config is not an issue in itself, my potential "end-of-line" solution is to use an SVN repository to store the information so that I can easily transfer a change from one system to another. That however, might not work from Editra. It's not a major issue if it doesn't and is, in essence simply one of the ways I've chosen to deal with this cross-system editing.

As a note toward your paths; if I understand them correctly (and I can't say anything for Mac, having never used it), the windows paths are user specific, but why is the Unix path not? Would it not be better under:

Code: Select all
/home/%USERNAME%/.Editra
immortalnights
User

Postby cody » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm

The unix path is user specific

The tilde '~' character is a shortcut for /home/USERNAME ;)

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby immortalnights » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Very true. It's just so skinny and small I missed it. Maybe I need his glasses > :nerd:
immortalnights
User

Postby immortalnights » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:52 pm

I have now tried coping a Editra profile (and all the files within the same directory area) to another system and I have found an issue.

Not sure if it's a bug as such, but within the 'profiles/' directory there is a '.loader2' file that appears to point to the 'default.ppb' file. Having transferred between XP and Win7 it's obvious that the path contained within that loader file is not valid between the systems. In that case it not only resets to the defaults, but over-writes the values within the files of the same name within the directory. (Actually having said that it sounds pretty much like a bug to me).

Anyhow, the simple work around would be to not copy that file. If I delete the current systems profile data and replace it with the other, and ensuring that '.loader2' is not present when starting Editra, it "updates" the profile to the latest version, but so far as I can tell, no personal settings are lost.

Is this expected behavior, incorrect or otherwise?
immortalnights
User

Postby cody » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:00 am

Hi,

The loader file shouldn't need to keep the absolute path in it, feel free to open a ticketto remind me to change it.
cody
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion