Problems with left braces and square brackets

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Problems with left braces and square brackets

Postby durholme » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:22 am

Hi,

I'm using Editra version 0.4.88 on a Mac OS X version 10.5.7 (MacBook). The keyboard is in spanish.

I cannot type left braces '{' and square brackets '[´, although right ones '}' and ´]´ work perfectly. The same problem happened using Editra version 0.4.75. I've checked the configuration but everything looks ok. Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks.
durholme
Limited User

Re: Problems with left braces and square brackets

Postby cody » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:22 am

Hello,

Yes, this is a long time problem with Spanish macbooks. I am not sure why this happens or what to do to fix it because I don't have hardware to test on.

see http://editra.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=225

I would really like to fix this but would need somebody that knows a little python and has one of these notebooks to work with to solve it.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby cleyton » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:47 am

Hello ,

I have some know about python and I have the mac and the same problem. Where I can start to fix it?

Cleyton (Brazilian program)
cleyton
Limited User

Postby cody » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:10 am

Through some correspondence with another user I have tried some testing in the past and came to the conclusion that the bug is at the wxPython/wxWidgets level.

Here are a few things you can try to help confirm this.

1) Try disabling Editra's key handling to see if its interfering
- see ed_basestc.py, ed_stc.py, and comment out where the EVT_KEY_* events are bound
- Also try disabling the following code in ed_basestc.py

Code: Select all
if wx.Platform == '__WXMAC__':
    for keys in _GetMacKeyBindings():
        self.CmdKeyAssign(*keys)

2) Try disabling menu keybindings to see if they are interfering
- see ed_menu.py, and modify the keybinder.GetBinding function to always return an empty string so the bindings are all disabled.

These are the only two thing in Editra's code that could possibly cause this. If disabling them does not make the problem go away then the bug is in the wxPython/wxWidgets StyledTextCtrl.

Thanks,
Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby egparedes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi everybody,

I arrived here looking for the solution of exactly the same problem in Codelite. I don't know if it happens because Codelite uses Editra as editor component or because it uses wxWidgets and so Cody is right and it's a problem in wxWidgets. I tell you this, just in case it were helpful to find this so annoying bug, because Codelite is completely unusable in Mac OS X due to this. I have an old Macbook Pro with Mac OS 10.5.8.

Maybe it's not related, but in the Spanish keyboard the left "[" and "{" are composed as alt + ` and alt + ´. In Spanish keyboards, when you type one of these accent characters you should then type a vowel to form the accented characters á or à, é or è, etc... If you press a vowel, one accented character is formed. If you press a different letter, then the accent character is showed on its own, just before the letter you have pressed. In Codelite at least, when I press the ´or ` keys, I get a newline character just as I would have pressed RETURN.

If you already knew this, I'm sorry for the unnecessary explanation, but it's because I just want that this wxWidgets bug will be finally solved.

Good luck.

Enrique
egparedes
Limited User

Postby egparedes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm

Oh, I forgot to send also this link to a bug report on wxPython, which I think is related to this problem too:

http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/9663
egparedes
Limited User

Postby cody » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:34 am

Hi,

Editra is an application not a component. From what I can tell CodeLite is a wx C++ application. Editra uses wxPython which is also built on wxWidgets. The control is the wxStyledTextCtrl which is a wrapper around Scintilla (scintilla.org). (say that 10 times fast ;) )

If possible could you download the scintilla sources and build their test application and see if the keys work there, if not then it would push the bug to being a Scintilla one if not then its definitely in the wx wrapper code around that control that is causing the issue.

It is good to know that those keys require send an alt key, it gives something more clear to look for. I would like to get this fixed as well but it is difficult without hardware to test on.

I have a US Macbook and everything works fine on my machines keyboard, it just seems to be an issue with some European keyboard configurations.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby cpinan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:50 am

Hello. Someone can fix the problem with the left braces in spanish keyboard configuration? Thanks =D
cpinan
Limited User

Postby cody » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:46 pm

This is an upstream problem with wxWidgets 2.8.

I submitted a patch to them about fixing this a long time ago, not sure if has been applied yet or not. You can try running Editra with wxPython 2.9 to see if it works any different.
cody
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion