Latest versions of Editra are slow

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Latest versions of Editra are slow

Postby fberger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 am

Hi,

over the last few upgrades (currently using 0.7.20) I have noticed that Editra has become rather slow and considerably less snappy than older versions.

This affects scrolling of large files, changing between tabs and updating the code browser. Re-arranging tabs is even slower.

It starts to show when > ~3 tabs with 1000 to 3000 lines of code in each are open.

Has anything changed in the last couple of releases that makes Editra do more work when juggling tabs?

Thanks,

-fberger
fberger
User

Re: Latest versions of Editra are slow

Postby cody » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi,

Nothing that I can think of.

Do you have any activated plugins? There were some changes to the FileBrowser/PyStudio (PyProject Window) that could potentially lead to some performance hits when they are displaying a large number of files.

Other than that I cannot think of anything off the top of my head. What OS are you using Editra on?
cody
Site Admin

Postby fberger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Active plugins are "CodeBrowser", "CommentBrowser", "FileBrowser", and "Projects".

I disabled "PyStudio" because it crashed Editra frequently when working with pygame, cherrypy ans SWIG-based packages as pyBox2D.

Editra is running on Gentoo Linux, 3.0.4-ck SMP, 1 GB RAM, Python 2.6.7.

I am not aware of any recent system updates on my part that could have impacted the performance of Editra. RAM is a little sparse on that machine, though.
fberger
User

Postby cody » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi,

Which Window Manager are you using?

CPU type / specs?

Can you see if disabling or collapsing all nodes in the FileBrowser plugin makes any difference in performance when scrolling?

Thanks
cody
Site Admin

Postby fberger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm

• xfwm4
  • Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz on a Dell notebook.

I actually do not use the file browser plugin, I have now disabled it.

Playing around I bit I noticed that the CodeBrowser of course takes some time to update when switching files with medium-size class and method trees.

Does the CodeBrowser re-parse the file any time the tab focus is changed? Maybe a cache of previous results could speed this up a little here.

Anyway, apart from that I still get some lags from time to time where Editra is unresponsive for a couple of seconds. Not really reproducible, though.
fberger
User

Postby cody » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks for the additional data.

Yes the filebrowser does currently reparse the file after changing tabs / saving / opening files. It would be nice for it to track file states and only update when there are changes. This behavior actually could probably be added with minimal effort since all the needed framework is already available.
cody
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion