Plea for an open bug tracker

Discuss any topics about the editor here

Plea for an open bug tracker

Postby fberger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi,

I'd like to file a bug for Editra. I'm ready to register with any bug tracking site that is hosting my credentials in a local database (and, as a matter of fact, I'm registered with Gentoo, Gnome, Launchpad, and a handful of other bug trackers).

I, however, am not willing to register with a company with the worst privacy record ever, which as a matter of fact is making a business of (voluntary) privacy violations, and is tracking me across the entire web, short: I'm not willing to register with Google to report a problem in a software that is in no way related to them.

Theres tons of mediocre and even reasonable free bug trackers outside Google. There's Sourceforge, to begin with, there is Launchpad, there is Github and others. Please move away from Google. Thanks a ton.

-fberger

P.S. Yes, I obviously know about the forum, and I am going to file the thing here. But that means missing out on a lot of convenience for both sides.
fberger
User

Re: Plea for an open bug tracker

Postby cody » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:25 am

Odd, don't think it was required to register with them in the past to post a bug report.

I have been wanting to move things for some time but my availability to work on things over the last two years has been continually getting reduced by other priorities.

Haven't ever really liked sourceforge in the past too cluttered and too many advertisements, Launchpad is out because that website is almost impossible to use half the time. Github is possible but then again don't really like GIT very much for this project, too much administrative overhead for a one person project. Wanted to run a trac server here but had trouble with hosting company before. Basically it requires a whole bunch of time that I unfortunately don't have to set up, transfer data, relink issue notifications (if possible), ect...

Schedule is looking to slightly free up come January so may have time to reflect on it again then.
cody
Site Admin

Re: Plea for an open bug tracker

Postby fberger » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:54 am

Hi,

first, sorry for my somewhat harsh tone.

cody wrote:Odd, don't think it was required to register with them in the past to post a bug report.

Give it a spin:

https://code.google.com/p/editra-plugins/issues/entry

cody wrote:I have been wanting to move things for some time but my availability to work on things over the last two years has been continually getting reduced by other priorities.

I see, been there. :-)

cody wrote:Wanted to run a trac server here but had trouble with hosting company before.

I think trac is not a bad option, as it seems to have the least installation hassle. Given, of course, you have some freedom on the server.

cody wrote:Schedule is looking to slightly free up come January so may have time to reflect on it again then.

Ah, as we have the forum, rather invest your time in Editra hacking. This is a minor inconvenience issue after all.

Cheers,

-fberger
fberger
User

Return to General Discussion