Rectangular selection

Request Features and Feature Changes

Rectangular selection

Postby Infinity77 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:54 am

Hi Cody,

I have been using Editra for a while and I like it a lot. Very nice job!

One thing I got used to, in the past, was to be able to use rectangular selection (i.e., block selection mode in TextPad). I know I can do something similar in Editra holding down the "Alt" key, but I seem to be unable to replicate what you can see in the attached image. This is probably because the rectangular selection in the StyledTextCtrl can only select regions where there are characters or spaces, not arbitrary rectangular regions.

Is this the case or am I missing something? If I am correct, do you think it would be possible to tweak STC to achieve the same behaviour?

Thank you, keep up the good work.

Andrea.
Attachments
rectangular_selection.png
rectangular_selection.png (62.95 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Infinity77
Limited User

Re: Rectangular selection

Postby cody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Andrea,

The version of Scintilla used by wxPython 2.8 is quite limited in this regard and even worse in how the pasting is handled afterwards.

In 2.9 the newer version of Scintilla has alot of new APIs in this regards and I beleive it can support the highlight of the virtual space past the line endings. Unfortunatly my experience with the stability of 2.9 is still pretty flaky but I can look into some optional code that can run when using wx2.9.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests