Notebook more native style

Request Features and Feature Changes

Notebook more native style

Postby speps » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi Cody, you did a nice work with Editra.

Currently I maintain Editra build script @ Archlinux (AUR) - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32918
Btw, I have one style objection about the notebook widget.
What about using a more native looking wx.notebook instead of AuiNotebook?
I'm a dark gtk themes addicted (my eyes are grateful to them), and seems like the
aui.AuiDefaultTabArt (or aui.AuiSimpleTabArt) does not well follow the gtkrc colour scheme.
In a dark theme, the default themed AUINotebook widget is displayed as is (white gradient)
but with white text on it(according to the gtk theme) - discordant apart from being unreadable.
This is quite annoying and could be fixed using the default wx.notebook or designing your own
TabArt. Btw, dunno if the AUINotebook is for your software a trade mark.

What do you think? Thanks

cheers
speps
Limited User

Re: Notebook more native style

Postby cody » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 am

Hi,

Using the basic wx.Notebook is not a possibility it lacks far too many feature.

There is already a issue reported in the issue tracker for this issue. I am planning on using a tab style under GTK that doesn't use a gradient since the gradient can make it hard to read the labels on systems that use flamboyant themes.

Sorry not sure what you mean about AUInotebook being a trademark?
cody
Site Admin

Postby speps » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks Cody for the answer, i didn't noticed there was yet a reported issue regarding this.

Actually the only gradient-less styles are simple, vc71 and chrome (quite ugly IMHO ;)), btw
no one follow by default the gtk theme colour scheme, so you may apply fixed colours for both
background and foreground to prevent unreadables and noisy labels.
That's not homogeneous but it's safe, or you may fetch the default colour scheme from the gtk theme.

I see the AuiNotebook is more than a style matter for you ( that's what I meant with trademark ),
but a more features rich notebook widget.

I will follow issue 609
Thanks
speps
Limited User

Postby cody » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Yes the notebook provides alot of special functionality such as split views, drag and drop tabs, being able to display a close button, ect...

The aui notebook is pretty configurable so I think I might just derive a renderer from the default one and change some of its drawing to not use a gradient and just draw the tabs in a flat colour which should fix the issue with the text and also match the system theme since the colors of the theme can be retrieved from the system settings.
cody
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests