Side panes organized like the shelf

Request Features and Feature Changes

Side panes organized like the shelf

Postby rudi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possibile to organize the side panes (file-browser, code browser) like the panes in the shelf, that is: they should take all the available vertical space when selected, a tab to switch between panes.
rudi
User

Re: Side panes organized like the shelf

Postby burli » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:44 pm

That's a big disadvantage of wxWidgets. You can't stack the panels. You have to cheat like the shelf. That's one of the reasons why i prefer Qt4.
burli
User

Postby cody » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:17 pm

rudi wrote:Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possibile to organize the side panes (file-browser, code browser) like the panes in the shelf, that is: they should take all the available vertical space when selected, a tab to switch between panes.

This can be done and I am actually planning something along these lines.

There will be a vertical set of tabs in a gutter on the left, when in auto show mode you can click or hover over one of the buttons and the panel will slide out, when it loses focus it will slide out of view. When in regular mode it will be just like another notebook control that stays visible.

burli wrote:That's a big disadvantage of wxWidgets. You can't stack the panels. You have to cheat like the shelf. That's one of the reasons why i prefer Qt4.

I am not sure I understand. What is the "cheat"?

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby burli » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 pm

cody wrote:I am not sure I understand. What is the "cheat"?

You have to do it yourself. Qt4 can do the Panel Tabbing by default, without any hack
burli
User

Postby cody » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:59 pm

burli wrote:
cody wrote:I am not sure I understand. What is the "cheat"?

You have to do it yourself. Qt4 can do the Panel Tabbing by default, without any hack

Sorry I guess I still don't get it. There is no hack that I am aware of. What is this hack your referring to?

A notebook (tab) control keeps a collection of panels and hides and shows them as they are selected. This seems quite natural and procedural to me.
cody
Site Admin

Postby burli » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Using the Notebook IS the "hack". In Qt you can drag and drop any Panel. And if you "stack" them Qt add's the Notebook Tabs automatically.

You can't drag a panel out of or drop it into a panel. If you want to have this feature, you need to write it yourself.

For Example: you can drag the Editra Log Panel out of the Shelf and drop it on the right side, maybe below or above the code browser, or you can drop it ON the code browser and Qt will create a "shelf" with tabs (without any extra line of code)
burli
User

Postby cody » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh ok,

Well a notebook is definitely not a hack its a well defined type of control. The Qt one just has some additional drag and drop features in it. There are some improvements to the aui framework that will hopefully be available soon that provide similar functionality.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby rudi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:08 am

cody wrote:This can be done and I am actually planning something along these lines.
There will be a vertical set of tabs in a gutter on the left, when in auto show mode you can click or hover over one of the buttons and the panel will slide out, when it loses focus it will slide out of view. When in regular mode it will be just like another notebook control that stays visible.

I personally strongly dislike auto-hiding panels and I hope you leave the option in regular mode to restore/minimize the editor and the panes with the keyboard or with a single click :-) (as it is now, à la Eclipse).
rudi
User

Postby cody » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Yes of course. Current behavior will be retained by default. Anything new will be optional and in addition to current usage.
cody
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests