Smart highlighting

Request Features and Feature Changes

Smart highlighting

Postby darkening » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:27 pm

In Notepad++, maybe other editors, you can double click a word to highlight all the same word in the document. When coding, this feature is very useful to easily see where a variable is used.

Regards
darkening
Limited User

Re: Smart highlighting

Postby cody » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Sure,

This will be easily do-able after the Find All (Highlight all) feature is complete.

cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby axe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 am

I also need this functionality. Please notify when it becomes available.
axe
Limited User

Postby egarcia » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:42 am

I just wanted to add a +1 to this feature request.

Thanks for the effort
egarcia
Limited User

Postby cody » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:58 am

I had implemented it a while back but there are some bugs in the current wxPython versions that prevented it from working, so waiting on 2.9 to be released which will hopefully make it possible to do.
cody
Site Admin

Postby airdrik » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:30 pm

This is certainly something that I really like from recent versions of Notepad++. First it will automatically highlight all instances of a word when you highlight one entire word. Second you can mark different strings with different colors (up to 5) by selecting a string -> right click -> mark using nth style, which then marks all instances of that string in the current file with that mark color.
This really comes in handy when I'm tracking down how a certain field on an object may get populated (we work with an application which parses raw data into objects and often calculates some fields from other fields which were previously populated from the raw data), so I can mark the different field references (or assignments) using different colors to more quickly figure out how exactly the field is getting populated.

If you can implement the highlight-on-select-word feature, that would be nice. If you can implement the mark-selected feature, that would make yet another use case where I could use Editra instead of NP++.

Also, I like NP++'s style of highlighting all occurrences: the corners are slightly rounded, and the outer 1-pixel border is slightly brighter than the rest of the highlighting, giving it a rather pleasing appearance ;) .
airdrik
User

Postby XIX » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 pm

I see this thread is a little bit old.

Does that mean that this is available now via some hidden option I haven't found yet?

:)
XIX
Limited User

Postby cody » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi,

No not yet. There are some limitation in the text control that is available in the current wxPython2.8 releases. I need to wait till wxPython 2.9 is released before I can properly implement this feature.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby mcarans » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:14 am

I also find this feature extremely useful. So I add my vote for it.
mcarans
User

Postby cody » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi,

wxPython 2.9 releases are stabilizing and starting to become more frequently available.

May possibly revive work on this feature in the next couple releases. After getting full python 2.7 support and tackling any remaining compatibility issues with wxPython 2.9.
cody
Site Admin

Postby ssilva » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am also interested in having this feature—it is the one I'm missing from Notepad++…
ssilva
Limited User

Postby ngg.online » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 pm

First, thank you for the nice job on Editra. It is a very good editor, and what I like most about it is the fact that I can finnaly use the same native editor on a Mac, Windows and Linux and do not need to use wine and notepad++. I am siruoussly thinking to write some plugins for it, though to make it more powerful.

Now, I am sorry to reply on this old thread, but i sill cannont find smart highlighting on the latest version of Editra 0.7.20. I am using Ubuntu 12.04. Is this implemented or am a using maybe an old version of wxPython?

Thank you and keep up the good work.
ngg.online

Postby cody » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi,

It hasn't been implemented yet. Its one of those things that has slipped past several times. It shouldn't be very hard to implement. Only issue is that the last time I started working on it I ran into some bugs in the wxStyledTextCtrl that were possibly related to the old version of Scintilla used by wxPython2.8.

The release dates for wxPython 2.9 which has a newer version of scintilla slipped for so many years that I didn't get around to retesting with 2.9 yet. wxPython 2.9 works pretty well at last testing with just some issues on OSX, so was hoping to migrate the binary releases to build with that in the near future. There was just some breaking issues in the VIm emulation that needed to be evaluated.

Anyway, adding this feature is high on the list of things to do. A patch implementing it would also be accepted if someone wants to implement it before I get a chance. My time on this project has been quite limited lately so things are moving a little slow at the moment.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby martin_boy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Waiting for it, Cody. I'm really need it too
martin_boy
Limited User

Return to Feature Requests