Save position of window splits in session

Request Features and Feature Changes

Save position of window splits in session

Postby qazzi76 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi Cody,

I want to thank you for this editor!

It's excellent and has become my replacement for Notepad++ especially because of the window split facility which facilitates the ability to have multiple views of one docucment.! (I sometimes need 4 views of one file...)

I would like to ask you to consider giving the editor the ability to save the positions of the window splits in the session info so that when the Editra is reopened there is no need to re-create the window splits.

Again I would like to thank you for this Great Editor.
qazzi76
Limited User

Re: Save position of window splits in session

Postby cody » Fri May 17, 2013 3:34 pm

This is intended to be done but somewhat stuck do to the following.

1) Editra originally used the wxWidgets AUI library to manage the layout and notebooks
2) Later A new wxPython specific AUI was created that had allot more features. Editra adopted the notebook control from this new AUI as it much better supported tab splitting and various layouts.
3) The main frame manager however had to stay with the old AUI due to so many plugins having dependencies on it.

If the plugins or some adapters could be devised and the main frame manager updated to the new AUI then much finer layout persistence could be achieved. Otherwise a more difficult and harder to maintain persistence would have to be separately created for the notebook control to be persisted separately from the main window layout.
cody
Site Admin

Re: Save position of window splits in session

Postby qazzi76 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Cody,

Thanks for the quick response!

Your explanation is very clear and I totally understand.

Thanks for getting back to me/the community on this! :)
qazzi76
Limited User

Return to Feature Requests