Edge guide jumps around and unable to select row

Report Bugs Here

Edge guide jumps around and unable to select row

Postby immortalnights » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm not sure what causes this, or even how to really explain it so apologies for the vagueness, but I'm in the hope that either you recognize it as a 'feature' or something.

Basically after sometime of normal use when I attempt to select a row (by selecting the line number on the left margin) the edge guide moves to the start of the line (after tabs/spaces) of which I've selected and it auto-selects the following line.

It also seems to be unable to select multiple lines by holding shift and pressing up or down cursors.

Once this has happens, the only way I can get normal line selection back is by closing and reopening Editra.

Again sorry for the vague description, if there is anything you can think of that I can try to help shed some more light on this, I'd be more then happy to help out. Since this is catching me multiple times a day at the moment.
immortalnights
User

Re: Edge guide jumps around and unable to select row

Postby cody » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello,

My guess is that you have column mode (Edit=>Column Mode) activated when you see this occur. Column mode changes the selection behavior and the edge guide is used as the marker to show what column is selected for editing.

This is the only way I could reproduce any of the items you listed. Solution is to toggle column mode off when you want to go back to normal editing.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby immortalnights » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:49 am

Yesh, that's it. Thank you.

I thought there was a chance that I was accidentally hitting some magical key-combination to a feature. Can't say I really understand or see the point of this "column mode", of which you speak, but least now I know how to turn it off.

Incidentally, there is no 'check' mark when this is on or off on the main menu, not saying I'd have noticed for sure, but it might have helped.

*removes dodgy short-cut to mysterious feature*.

Another minor thing I've noticed in relation to this is that the default key binding is Ctrl+Shift+| (pipe), but the key binding options don't allow bindings to '|'. The key binding interface gets a little confused about this.
immortalnights
User

Postby cody » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi,

It allows you to edit multiple columns at once.

To try it out:

1) Open a buffer that has multiple lines in it, all with multiple columns

i.e)
Code: Select all
foo bar
foo bar
foo bar

2) Put the cursor on the top line after 'foo' on the first line

3) Enable column mode

4) Hold shift and push the down arrow twice to select the other two lines and move the insertion point to that column.

5) Type something

6) Observe that it the characters you typed are inserted into all three lines at that column
cody
Site Admin

Postby immortalnights » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Ahhh, now I get it. I was so caught up in sulking when it was enabled by accident that I never took the time to see what it actually did.

Having played with it, I've found an issue in that if you do as you describe but make the first edit backspace or del it deletes all the selected lines, rather then correctly removing one character. If you type a letter first and then delete it works as expected. I'll create an issue on Google in a moment.

(Oww, just noticed v0.6 is out... *upgrades*)

Edit: Quick question on this: Why does it select the lines which are covered from the columns? I understand there needs to be some indication which lines will be effected by any edits, but it does subject the selected lines to all other selection related actions (cut, paste, delete, ...).
immortalnights
User

Postby cody » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi,

There is an open bug report against the delete not working correctly. I haven't put much effort into fixing things with that feature as the new version of Scintilla that will be available in wxPython 2.9 and later has a new api for dealing with this functionality so I won't have to rely on hacks anymore.

IIRC The lines are highlighted with an indicator and not actually selected. This feature was added as a patch from somebody a few years ago and I don't use it very often so not 100% on its details.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports