Getting 4 Connection Failure errors on Startup

Report Bugs Here

Getting 4 Connection Failure errors on Startup

Postby sunfish62 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 am

Any ideas why Editra 0.5.32 MAC (OS X 10.5.8) hangs on start up four separate times with Connection Failure dialogs? This happens every time, and if I am on a separate desktop space, the dialog can be nearly impossible to find.

TIA,
David
sunfish62
User

Re: Getting 4 Connection Failure errors on Startup

Postby cody » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:01 pm

"Connection Failure Dialog"?

Could you post a screenshot?

By four separate times do you mean then it happens four times after you click on it? or that you tried starting it four times and it happened each time?
cody
Site Admin

Postby sunfish62 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:11 am

I will get a screen shot when (and if) I can. As for the errors, the window pops up, I click it away, it pops up again, I click it away, it pops up again, I click it away, and, it pops up again, and I click it away. Only then does the edit window open up. This happens every time I start Editra. My OS got Smiley-fied; I am on Leopard 10.5.8.
sunfish62
User

Postby cody » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 am

Hi,

Do you have another application or service that may be using or blocking Port 2715? Editra runs an IPC service on the local loopback using that port.

Looking at this now that port is in a reserved range so it is quite possible. I have never had any issue with it nor had any other reported but I will bump that port up outside the reserved range.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby sunfish62 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm

I apologize for not following up on this; I have been quite busy this year, and I don't use Editra all that much.

I just downloaded 0.5.99 and installed it, but receive the same messages. I do not know whether 2715 is blocked or not; how might I determine this?

Here is the screen shot.

Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (38.66 KiB) Viewed 4633 times

David
sunfish62
User

Postby cody » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi,

Just out of curiosity do you have the Filebrowser plugin enabled? Its using a system component that may be trying to connect to a network drive that doesn't exist or something. This is just a guess but you can try removing the filebrowser plugin and see if anything changes, it can be found in the app bundle under the plugins directory (filebrowser-....egg).

I haven't seen this before on my machine or gotten other reports about it, so I am not sure about it but the icon looks like its trying to connect to a shared network drive or idrive (thats what that mac cloud service is called right?) or something.

There have been a number of changes to the IPC server so I don't suspect that anymore since it will automatically choose a different port if the one it tries is already in use.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby sunfish62 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 am

Cody--

Thanks for answering. I just saw your message, and found that Filebrowser was enabled, and that disabling it removed the errors. What now?
sunfish62
User

Postby cody » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi,

Well I guess I would suggest not using the filebrowser plugin on that computer then. Either that or figure out what network drive on you system is having connection failures.

The issue is happening in code that is outside of Editra so I won't be able to fix this issue in Editra itself without rewriting the filebrowser plugin to enumerate and display the files on its own without using the builtin widget it is currently using. This is something I want to do but it is not very high on the priority list right now.

You can use the Projects plugin as an alternative to the FileBrowser plugin as well to some extent if you need a side panel to select files from.
cody
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports