Ruby. HTMl , CSS Auto-complete

Tips and tricks to get the most out of using Editra

Ruby. HTMl , CSS Auto-complete

Postby konung » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi, All.

Just found Editra, coming from Notepad++. Very comparable features, but Editra is a bit better on quite a few features (launch window, better style management, etc.) Very cool and thanks to the developers.

Here is the question thou.

I noticed that it says on the website that autocompletion is available for most languages.

Why can't I get it workign for ruby, css and html? Is it not complete?

I read through all of the forums on this topic and can't find somethign that would help.
konung
User

Postby cody » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Hello,

Where did you read this?

Currently only python autocompletion is implemented. Others are planned to be added in the future. The only place mentioned on this website about autocompletion can be found here http://editra.org/index.php?page=preview.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby konung » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:07 am

Cody - I'm sorry

I guess I'm dyslexic today.

http://editra.org/index.php?page=doc&doc=features

I read "Code folding" as Code Completion.
Sorry.

Still like editra.

Is there any info thou on when code auto completion might be done for other languages?

I pretty much haven't touched python since algorithm course in college (about 7 years ago) and been doing php and ruby since then, so don't have the skills to add this functionality myself and unfortunately no time right now to learn python.

If there was some easy way to do it like in Notepad++ - you just add a text file (i.e. ruby.api or css.api) with all the possibilities and it "magically" does auto completion for you :-)
konung
User

Postby cody » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:20 am

Hello,

I haven't used notepad++ before, so I am not sure of this interface for autocompletion but I will try to take a look at it and get the main idea. If its good it might be the way to add autocompletion for more languages.

As for a time frame no idea, I am the only person working on this and am more than busy with just getting the core features into good shape as it is. It is defiantly in the plans and will be gotten to at some point, hopefully will have some time during the 0.4 releases.

cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby konung » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:52 pm

cody wrote:Hello,

I haven't used notepad++ before, so I am not sure of this interface for autocompletion but I will try to take a look at it and get the main idea. If its good it might be the way to add autocompletion for more languages.

As for a time frame no idea, I am the only person working on this and am more than busy with just getting the core features into good shape as it is. It is defiantly in the plans and will be gotten to at some point, hopefully will have some time during the 0.4 releases.

cody

Thanks Cody for you efforts!
Still a great editor. Will wait patiently for the next release!
konung
User

Re: Ruby. HTMl , CSS Auto-complete

Postby cody » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 am

1) Why are you asking this question by replying to this completely unrelated thread?

2) This forum is for questions about usage tips for using Editra, not an html help forum.

Use google (or equivalent) and search the web there are millions of tutorials out there on this topic.

Regards,

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby konung » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:47 am

gangotri - what cody said.

But the first result on google search produces this article:
http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Web-Styl ... -with-CSS/

Also I think you might be confusing two things:
Divs are used for layout instead of non-semantic ways of tables. Tables are still quite useful thou and used for things like tabular data - when you need to show a grid of some date - like city, population, country - there is no other sensible way to do it.

Again divs are used to display content of the page and control layout - tables should be used only for a very special case of content - tabular data.
konung
User

Postby cody » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Just as an update,

I implemented autcompletion for HTML and XML the other day. The current svn now supports providing input assistance and autocompletion hints. Plan to add calltip like support in the future for showing common params inside of html tags. This feature can be used now from the svn version or in the up coming release (hopefully soon, just waiting for wxpython 2.8.9.2 to be released.).

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby konung » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks Cody.
Pretty cool.

I love editra for quick edits (Eclipse is to cumbersome and takes so much time to load)

Since you mentioned svn, are there any plans to add support for other repositories. We are switching our old cvs to mercurial now.

Anyways - great editor! Thank you!
konung
User

Postby cody » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:43 pm

konung wrote:Since you mentioned svn, are there any plans to add support for other repositories. We are switching our old cvs to mercurial now.

What do you mean by support other repositories? Editra development is currently done using subversion for source control I am not sure what support would mean here, having the source in more than one type of repository would provide no benefit to development and would likely only just make more work to keep things syncronized.

If your talking about Editra's Project plugin it supports many source control systems (CVS, SVN, GIT, BZR, HG (Mercurial)).

p.s) 0.4.75 also has some very basic input assistance for CSS

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby konung » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Sorry i was confusing :-)

You mentioned svn - and it got me thinking about my repository and I was referring to the plugin. The last time I checked it out ( a few months back) there was no mercurial support.

I will check it out now. Thanks!!!
konung
User

Postby cody » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 pm

konung wrote:You mentioned svn - and it got me thinking about my repository and I was referring to the plugin. The last time I checked it out ( a few months back) there was no mercurial support.

Oh ok, yea well it does now. For the basic things anyway other of the more mercurial specific commands will be available in future versions when extensions are made to allow SourceControl implementations to provide there own actions and commands.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Postby rainbow2009 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:29 am

pret auto
:D 8) Interesting, that might be what I was thinking about :evil:
rainbow2009
Limited User

Postby singeroi » Wed May 06, 2009 2:14 am

looking for same solution.. :nerd:
pret personnel
singeroi
Limited User

Postby cody » Wed May 06, 2009 2:31 am

singeroi wrote:looking for same solution.. :nerd:
pret personnel

Solution for what?

Everyone this is a very old thread and has meandered off topic please start a new thread. Locking this one.

Cody
cody
Site Admin

Return to Usage Tips