Split Screen?

Tips and tricks to get the most out of using Editra

Split Screen?

Postby dgktkr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi,

I've Googled around to see if Editra has implemented split screen functionality. I found an old discussion that seems to indicate that it does, but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it. That discussion has something like "drag the tabs around to split the screen the way you want it". Well, I can go to the tab bar and drag tabs around, but that just reorders them, it doesn't split the screen.

dgktkr
dgktkr
User

Re: Split Screen?

Postby cody » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Yes this feature has been available for a long time. What version of Editra are you using and on what system?

Simple drag a tab outside of the tab area to split it into a new view.

For example:

1) Open 2 or more tabs
2) Drag one from the tab area to the bottom of the editing area, as you get to the edge of the bottom of the text buffer there should be a docking hint that is shown (i.e a transparent blue area.
3) Release the mouse button
4) Should be split top/bottom now (this can be done for top/bottom/left/right to your preference)

The split views can be arbitrarly split in all directions. If you want to rejoin them you can either drag a tab back to the tab area of one of the views or in some cases just double click on the bar between the split areas.
cody
Site Admin

Re: Split Screen?

Postby dgktkr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Cody,

Thank you for the quick response.

Version 0.7.20 on OS-X 10.7.5.

My problem was I wasn't dragging the tabs far enough down or far enough to the right. When I do that, it functions as you describe.

Thanks

dgktkr
dgktkr
User

Return to Usage Tips